Learning English

First, I'll confess that I'm not much of a Mila Kunis fan. In fact, most of the time I only see her on Jim Beam ads during baseball games (see screenshot).

But I did run across a funny note about the liquor-peddling Mila on my usual Google News search for game show items. Apparently, there's an urban legend about the actress that she learned English from watching a game show. She denies the legend but admits some responsibility for it...

I made a statement when I was 14 that is going to haunt me the rest of my life about how I used to watch The Price Is Right when I was learning English. It just happened to be on TV before I went to school. It wasn't something I was consciously aware of.

Hm, a lot to unpack here. How could anybody not be consciously aware of The Price is Right when it's on TV? The show is loud enough to wake the dead, whether or not they speak English. And wouldn't TPiR leave an English learner with a rather specialized vocabulary? You would learn a lot of merchandise descriptions, anyway.

At least from the Jim Beam ads, Mila sounds like she speaks perfect English nowadays. Even if The Price is Right didn't have anything to do with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratings: Alex has a forgettable week

Yeah, they were game show hosts

Marathon runner