Film or fluid?

Hadn't stopped by Game Show Paradise in a while, and I noticed an issue that seems to be one of the board's obsessions.

Or at least it seems to be an obsession with a few posters on the board. It's the dreaded "film look," which for reasons unknown is supposed to be infecting TV broadcasts of old game shows. To be honest, I had never heard of this awful "look" before Game Show Paradise posters began complaining about it.

Best as I can tell from Wikipedia, the "film look" is the art of making a taped TV show look like a theatrical movie. Thing is, I've never seen an old game show on any channel that looked like anything close to a movie. Apparently not too many other people have seen such a thing, either, which is why nobody except a few GSP posters ever talks about it.

The opposite of the "film look" seems to be the "fluid look," and I really have no clue what that is. All I can say is that old game shows on Buzzr or GSN or YouTube almost always look like what they are: old video tapes. I will note one exception. It Happened to Jane, a long forgotten Doris Day movie from 1959, does have a scene filmed as an I've Got a Secret ep. And sure enough, this movie footage does have the "film look." Not to mention the color look. The screenshot is an example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratings: syndies rebound from turkey overload

HQ co-founder dies at age 35

Buzzr gets noticed